Wednesday, April 01, 2009

My Garden


I just finished making a big garden box for our family so we can have our first family garden. I'm really excited about it. I got 8 of the red timbers from the self help store here on base for free. They also let me "rent" for free a circular saw to take home and use. I got boards from the wood pile (dump) here on base for the bottom and drilled a bunch of holes in them for drainage. We have to have a bottom on our box because the landscape here is under warranty so we aren't allowed to plant anything directly into the ground for at least a year and after that we have to draw up plans and get approval for anything we want to do. In the end I did end up spending about $66 on extra timbers and screws, so it wasn't free, but I still think we did pretty well. Now all I have to do is convince someone with a pickup to help me load up a bunch of dirt :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go girl! Don't you love that little U fix it place on base. We got buckets and buckets of free paint in Germany (collected a little at a time) then we dyed the paint and decrated the whole apartment!
Meg, i can't believe how old John and Joey are looking. Yikes, they're going to be deacons if you fall asleep for too long!

Jen said...

That's awesome! I love how you didn't let the conditions of your place (as in can't plant directly into the ground) stop you from having a garden. Where there's a will, there's a way. You rock.

Melissa said...

Way to go Megan!! (on building the box)

I didn't know you had a blog. How exciting. We really will need to get together soon.

Hallway Express said...

I'm glad you found me! Its great to see you and your family. Way to go in starting a garden and building a planter. I knew you were super talented when you showed me this jean vest you made from piecing together tons of little strips. That was many moons ago :-)