Friday, January 01, 2010

Christmas 2009



Our Christmas Eve this year was really special. I decided to do a shepherd's dinner since it was just our family. WE all dressed like shepherds and ate dinner on a blanket under the Christmas tree with the lights off and the tree lights on. I made roasted beef kebabs, pita bread and hummus, oranges, and rice. It probably wasn't that authentic, but I was trying to make something that the shepherds might have eaten that evening. During dinner we talked about the shepherds and a little about what their lives were like. After dinner Samantha came dressed as an angel and quoted the bible "for unto you this day . . ." During dinner I had hidden our "manger" (baby cradle) in one of the bedrooms. I put a nightlight above it. The lights were all off and the kids had to find the star and the baby Jesus. It was really neat. Then we went back downstairs and read the rest of the story. It was a really sweet experience. I think the kids had fun too.

Earlier in the day we finally put together the gingerbread house I made. I made the gingerbread from scratch, but I didn't measure very well and one of the roof pieces didn't fit quite right and fell and broke. We had fun eating it anyway, but it wouldn't win any contests.




Of course, you read my other post and know that Michelle was making mischeif later on Christmas eve. Christmas itself was really relaxed. We ate, played with toys and watched movies. Then a few days later we drove to Washington to see my parents and siblings. We only had a few days, but it was a lot of fun. I'm just kicking myself because I forgot to bring my camera. Both Maia and I are pregnant so it would have been fun to get a picture! Too late now! Next time I see her, she will have already had her baby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your dinner idea is fantastic!!! I love it so much I want to try that next year. I'm hoping to have it together enough to do something special like that next Christmas! I'm so glad you shared that!
I'm so so excited for you guys and this upcoming fellowship. Awesome! And number 6! you are an inspiration! Wonderful! And I love the pictures! Miss you guys so much!

Hallway Express said...

I hope I remember to do the shepherd idea next time. Thanks so much for sharing it! Congrats to you and Maia, how fun to have close cousins!

Melissa said...

we do a similar dinner with candle light and fish. We eat a dinner that Jesus would have eaten in his life. Congrats on the new baby and maybe you'll be able to catch Maia on Baby #2 and your #7??!!! :)

Happy New Year!