Sunday, May 09, 2010

468 cinnamon rolls, 420 chocolate strawberries, 4 loaves of bread, 7 young women, 4 leaders, 2 toddlers and 1 elementary school cook

Yep, that was our lineup on Saturday and miraculously everything went smoothly. We got to Grandview Elementary around 8:30 am and worked continuously till about 1:30 and got it all knocked out. It actually wasn't too bad with such a large kitchen and so many people helping. I was really nervous that everything was going to fall apart, but thanks to Sister Chick (the elementary school cook) and everyone who came to help we got it all done relatively quickly and easily. Let me just tell you, that industrial mixer, oven and dishwasher are awesome. So is Sister Chick! She really did a great job helping the yw roll and cut all those rolls.

Friday night, I was a little panicky. Justin and I were taking the boys to see Alice in Wonderland here on base while a friend watched the little kids. Just as we sat down to start the show, my 1st counselor called me. She was in Boise at Costco, she was supposed to pick up all the strawberries there, had gone a week before, checked everything out and was assured they would have plenty of berries for us, but when she got there Friday evening they were completely sold out of strawberries. We were both dying! I sat through a few minutes of the show, but was freaking out, so I had to ditch my dates and run to Mountain Home and check out the stores there to see if there were any berries. The first store I stopped at had only 6 lbs left on the shelf. We needed about 40 lbs. I was completely freaking out. I then ran to walmart, grabbed the 10 pounds they had (mind you half of these had visible mold on them) and ran to Albertsons where I met Lisa (my first counselor). The strawberries there were selling for $3.50/pound and they didn't even look that good. Luckily, Lisa told me that she had called the first store I went to and asked them to pull 20 pounds off the shelves for us. We went back there and they let us into their cooler where we were able to pick and choose enough strawberries to finish our order. Disaster averted! Thank goodness! All the berries we bought came to $1.50/pound. Which was really a pretty good price. I missed Alice in Wonderland, but got home about the same time as Justin and the kids. Actually our friend offered to watch our kids a little longer so Justin and I could have some time together, so we went to the bowling alley and ate ice cream, played a round of pool, and played miss pacman. Thanks Connie. We really have some great friends here. I will really miss them when we move.

Unfortunately though, I missed the boys last soccer game. They won 3-2 and Joey made the winning goal. It would have been nice to be there, but Justin and the others were able to go so it all turned out well.

3 comments:

Nichole said...

Wow, as if you didn't have enough to stress you out right now anyway!!! Sounds like a very busy weekend for you.

Janae Walker said...

you are super woman!

Hallway Express said...

That is an amazing feat! What a relief to have that over. So glad it all came together well and the girls can go to camp.