Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gestational Diabetes

So I went to the doctor today and he told me that I have gestational diabetes. NOOOOOO!!!!!! I was so hoping that the other test was just wrong. I started getting weepy in the doctor's office. It was so embarrassing. How do you explain to people that no, I'm not worried about the baby, I'm just so sad to break up with my best friend sugar. Really, I just don't have time for more trips to boise for ultra sounds and doctors appointments etc. I already planned out menus using up all of the food we already have so I don't have to throw a bunch of stuff away when we move. Dang it, I just bought a big thing of honey so I could make granola bars out of the huge bin of oats I have in my pantry that they won't tlet me move with because it's already opened. Now I'm sure I have to go buy more vegetables, and I probably won't even be able to eat very many granola bars. I really am feeling a little overwhelmed.



I came home from the doctors and met up with a few of the other yw leaders to make food for the graduation party we are planning tomorrow. We put together a barbie cake and some graduation caps made out of reeces peanut butter cups and mini hershey bars and fruit roll ups. We also are making little tortilla wraps shaped like diplomas. It was so annoying not to be able to sneak any of the candy or lick the frosting off my fingers etc. Then for dinner tonight we went to the end of year girl scout picnic. I'm sure I overate, but I didn't even have any desserets. Not even the sugar free trifle I made. When I was at the doctors, I was supposed to be able to go see the nurse and she was supposed to teach me how to monitor my sugars and stuff. This first week, I think I'm just supposed to eat normally and take my sugars in the morning and 2 hours after each meal, then, based on what they find out from there, they will tell me more about what to avoid etc. (I guess). I won't be able to see the nurse until Thursday. Not that I'm in a rush to poke myself with needles all the time, just that I want to know what needs to be done so I can feel like I' taking control of this. So annoying.

Anyway, I'm done having my pitty party. Sad day, but I'm sure we'll survive and maybe I won't gain any more weight. hahahaha!

3 comments:

Nichole said...

I'm sorry. It doesn't sound like it is fun at all. It is hard having to restrict your diet when you're having to cook for a family!! That's what I tell myself when I try to diet. ha ha

Melissa said...

so sorry, but at least you have some good resources in the family, huh?? :) I would go ahead with your menu plans, let the family use up the food and the kids will be able to gobble up all that granola! You'll just have to carb count. hmm not to fun, but I admit that I feel soooo much better when I do it. good luck.

Janae Walker said...

yuck! i am so sorry! i never hope that i have that. but, at least it will be over soon, right?